The Diaconate Formation Office of the Diocese of Brooklyn has a three-fold mission:
- The promotion, recruiting and formation of future deacons, to administer the five-year formation program for men who are called to serve as ordained deacons in the Church.
- To collaborate with the Sacred Heart Institute with the promotion and registration of the ordained in their spiritual and pastoral formation programs.
- To provide support to the deacons, their wives and the widows of deceased deacons by offering opportunities for social gatherings, prayer and fraternity. The office also serves as a resource to deacons facing any type of personal or ministerial difficulties.
2020 Information for Men Interested in Diaconate Formation
If you believe the Lord is calling you to serve as one of His deacons, please speak to your Pastor first and let him know about your desire to find out more information about diaconate formation and the admissions process. Please note that the age of those men interested in applying to diaconal formation must be between 35 and 60 years old.
Due to the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19), we will not program anymore inquiry sessions for the remaining of the year. To find out more about the program and the admissions process please call the office at 718-281-9577 or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to set up meeting with Deacon Jorge A. Gonzalez, Director of the Program. He will then contact you and set a video or telephone conference with you and your wife (if married) on a day and time that is convenient for both.
Please note: In light of the current situation, the beginning of a new formation class has been delayed until further notice. However, we encourage those interested in the program to contact our office.
Follow the links below to learn more about the diaconate and the process for becoming a deacon:
– About the Diaconate | Acerca del Diaconado
– FAQ About the Diaconate | Preguntas Frecuentes sobre el Diaconado
– About Formation | Acerca de la Formación
– Admissions Process | Proceso de Admisiones
– Criteria for Admissions in Formation | Criterio para Admissiones en Formación
7200 Douglaston Parkway
Douglaston, NY 11362
Phone: 718-281-9575 Fax: 718-399-5957
Deacon Jorge González
718-281-9575 / 718-965-7300 Ext. 5577
718-281-9577 / 718-965-7300 Ext. 5413