Are you called to be a Deacon?
If you are in the process of discerning God’s call to serve the Church in the ministries of Charity, Word, and the Eucharist as an ordained deacon in the Diocese of Brooklyn, you are invited to contact the Diaconate Formation Office for more information about the Inquiry Stage, by sending us an email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the office at 718-281-9577.
The Inquiry Stage is designed to help you and your wife (if married) to begin to discern whether this call is to the Diaconate or perhaps for another important and holy role within the Church. As is the case with any vocation, the Church must also verify this call through a process of discernment. Because God speaks in quiet and subtle ways, we all enter this process with open and prayerful hearts trusting that the Holy Spirit will lead us.
In light of the COVID-19 Virus, those men interested to apply in the Diaconate Formation Program in the Diocese of Brooklyn should send an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office to schedule a meeting with Deacon Jorge A. Gonzalez, director of the Program. He will then contact you to schedule a video or telephone conference with you and your wife (if married) on a day and time that is convenient for both. During this video or telephone conference he will give you a detailed explanation of the formation program as well as the requirements for admissions.
The Application Process
The Diaconate Formation Office welcomes applications from men of all communities and backgrounds. In order for the Good News to be incarnate, it is necessary for the Church to have ordained ministers in all of the various communities. The presence and witness of deacons from all communities will assist in identifying community needs and advance the response of Christian service.
The man discerning a vocation to be a deacon for the Diocese of Brooklyn should:
- Call or send an email to the Diaconate Formation Office to schedule a video or telephone conference with the director of the program.
- Complete and submit the Pre-Application Form, which will be sent by email after the video or conference call.
- Once the pre-application is received by the office, the applicants will receive the Formal Application. This application is more extensive and once completed should be sent to the Diaconate office with the required documents.
- With the Formal Application, the applicant will receive the instructions to schedule the psychological test and attend one clinical interview with his wife (if married) with one of our diocesan psychologists.
- The applicant will also receive the procedure to follow for the background check.
- Once we have received all the above information, attend an interview with the Admissions Committee. Interviews are conducted for the applicant and his wife, if married.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Applicants must be aware that the participation in the admissions process does not guarantee that someone is automatically accepted into the first stage of formation, which is Aspirancy.