Preserving the Vision is the name of the strategic planning process, which began in 2008, to insure the future of Catholic education within the Diocese of Brooklyn. It is an ongoing process, guided by the Preserving the Vision Advisory Committee, and aimed to preserve and strengthen the mission of Catholic education in Brooklyn and Queens.
The Preserving the Vision Advisory Committee is comprised of both religious and lay people committed to Catholic education. Among the many individuals on the committee are leaders in the Catholic faith, educators specializing in different fields, lawyers, marketing professionals, financial advisors, and development specialists.
The long-term goal of Preserving the Vision is to enhance the mission of Catholic elementary schools by creating “multiple partnerships” designed to strengthen every aspect of a Catholic elementary school’s life and to transform it into an academy that includes competent lay leadership in its governance. These partnerships will support and strengthen each school’s Catholic identity, further enhance and promote its academic excellence and strengthen its long term viability and stability.
The priorities of Preserving the Vision are:
- Strengthening the Catholic identity and academic excellence of the schools and academies within the Diocese of Brooklyn with particular attention to the implementation of New York State Common Core Learning Standards.
- Increasing enrollment through effective marketing and outreach to the diverse communities within the diocese.
- Attracting new sources of funding to increase the dollars available at the local and diocesan levels for operating revenue and tuition assistance.
- Transitioning all schools to academies by 2017 and insuring that the academies are vibrant institutions providing an excellent Catholic education.
- Utilizing up-to-date technology to enhance instruction which will reflect 21st century learning skills, improve marketing efforts and facilitate effective communication with parents and between schools and the diocese.
- Academies and schools within the diocese will participate in the diocesan parish strategic planning process, Christ Jesus Our Hope, in order to strengthen the connections between schools, academies and the home parishes of their students.
- Academies and schools within the diocese will give strong support to the New Evangelization initiatives of the universal church in order to meet the challenges which today’s society and changing cultures are posing to the faith.
- Academy and school leadership, in partnership with the Superintendent of Schools ~ Catholic School Support Services, will vigorously participate in political advocacy with state and local officials in order to bring all possible benefits to the Catholic educational community of the diocese.
- Academy and school leadership will collaborate with Catholic high school principals and Board Members, as well as with colleagues in higher education, in order to ensure quality Catholic education in the P-16 continuum.
- All school buildings and the learning environments therein will meet the safety needs of students and staff.
- The stability of the infrastructure of school buildings within the diocese will be diligently maintained.
Preserving the Vision remains an ongoing process. Therefore, the Advisory Committee meets on a regular basis, progress in relation to the goals is reported on an annual basis, and the Strategic Plan is updated as needed.