Changes in the spiritual practices among the faithful, a decrease in available clergy and men and women in consecrated life, changes in the general population within our Diocese, as well as concerns regarding temporal matters have affected the means by which the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been proclaimed within the Diocese of Brooklyn. In an effort to respond in the best possible way to the gifts of the Holy Spirit generously given to us in our current situation, I have overseen a comprehensive pastoral plan, which included the whole of the Diocese of Brooklyn.
In an effort to evangelize more effectively the community in Queens, as well to administrate the temporal goods of the faithful more efficiently, Reverend Thomas G. Pettei, Pastor of Resurrection-Ascension, located at 61-11 85th Street, Middle Village, New York 11379, and also Administrator of Our Lady of the Angelus, located at 63-93 98th Street, Rego Park, New York 11374, petitioned that they be canonically merged.
In keeping with the requirements of the Universal Law of the Church, the Presbyteral Council was consulted on December 1, 2022 (Canon 515 § 2), and after having heard the reasons for the proposed merger its members expressed their support for this action. In addition, after having consulted the territorial Episcopal Vicars, clergy, pastoral ministers and other members of the faithful of the parishes involved, I, the undersigned Bishop of Brooklyn, hereby declare and decree that the Parishes of Resurrection-Ascension and Our Lady of the Angelus, both within the Diocese of Brooklyn, shall be merged to form one Parish.
- This one Parish shall be named Resurrection Ascension-Our Lady of the Angelus parish, with the main Parish office to be located 61-11 85th Street, Middle Village, New York 11379.
- Reverend Thomas Pettei shall be the Pastor of the Parish.
- The territorial boundaries of the new parish shall encompass all of the territory which, up until now, has constituted the territories of Resurrection-Ascension and Our Lady of the Angelus.
- All assets and obligations currently belonging to aforementioned parishes are by this canonical merger, transferred to the Resurrection Ascension-Our Lady of the Angelus parish.
- The parochial registers and the seals of the aforementioned parishes shall be kept at 61-1185th Street, Middle Village, New York 11379.
- The Parish shall have two churches for worship: The Church of Resurrection- Ascension and Our Lady of the Angelus.
This merger shall take effect on January 1, 2023, at which time the public juridic persons of Resurrection Ascension-Our Lady of the Angelus shall be merged. Recourse action may be sought according to the norms of Canons 1732 to 1739 of the 1983 Code of Canon Law.