FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 11, 2020
Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens to Host Pop-Up Food Distribution in Queens for Neighbors in Need Impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic
WHAT: Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens will distribute 3,600 bags of food at a Pop-Up Food Distribution in Cambria Heights at Sacred Heart of Jesus Roman Catholic Church located at 115-50 221st Street in the Cambria Heights section of Queens, tomorrow, Friday, June 12, 2020, from 9:30 a.m. until supplies last.
Since March 24th, Catholic Charities has:
- Provided over 316,000 meals at emergency Pop-Up Food Distributions in Brooklyn and Queens.
- Provided over 250,000 meals at our food pantries.
- Witnessed an increase in demand for food at our existing food pantries which has tripled in over 7 weeks.
On Friday, June 12th, Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens will:
- Distribute a total of nearly 13,200 meals;
- Hand out 3,600 bags of food;
- Provide individuals with dry staple goods, produce, fresh chicken, apples, tortillas, juice and a recipe;
- Provide information on access to supportive services via our call center and behavioral health services via telehealth; a coping with stress flyer; and outreach material encouraging participants to self-respond to the 2020 Census.
According to the New York City Department of Health, as of June 10, Queens has seen 62,589 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 5,175 reported deaths. Brooklyn and Queens account for nearly 60 percent of all COVID-19 cases in the New York metropolitan area.
As New York City is now in phase one of reopening, Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens will continue to serve communities severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, especially our neighbors in need who have lost their jobs, wages, and did not qualify for federal stimulus packages.
The Emergency Pop-Up Food Distribution is organized and funded by Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens as a direct response to our neighbors in need. To help, donate to Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens at www.ccbq.org.
# # #