The person applying for this position needs to have applied and understood the concept of youth ministry as put forth by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops in their 1997 document Renewing the Vision: A framework for Catholic Youth Ministry. It states: “Youth Ministry is the response of the Christian community to the needs of young people and the sharing of the unique gifts of youth with the larger community” (RTV 1). The purpose of this position would be to help the Diocesan Director who is the “Keeper of the Vision” so as to continue to develop and foster comprehensive youth ministry within the Archdiocese on the local levels of their particular region.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The job of the Regional Coordinator of Youth Ministry (South of Yonkers) will be to direct and coordinate all archdiocesan youth ministry efforts for high school age students up until the college level within their respective region. They will report directly to the Director and Associate Director of Youth Ministry. Each of the Regional Coordinators will be the liaisons between the local communities within their regions and the office of youth ministry. They will be responsible for disseminating the information from the office to the local levels as well as provide support and resources to the different communities as needed.
Regional Coordinators will Oversee & Develop:
- Youth Ministry Training Programs
- Youth Ministry Deanery Teams
- Participation of youth ministers and young people at regional, national, international gatherings, retreats, outreach and mission opportunities
- Training for Parents/ Youth on local level
- Database of local Youth Ministry Contacts & Programs
- Regional Coordinators will follow-up with the Office of Youth Ministry Sub-Committee work and report to the Director and Associate Director and assist as needed.
- Regional Coordinators will be liaisons with the Coordinators of other offices in their respective areas.
- Bachelor’s Degree Minimum with a concentration in Youth Ministry preferred. Five years of related experience will be considered on both local and national levels.
- Bilingual- Spanish/English preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must have a driver’s license and the ability to travel around the parishes/ diocese as well as a willingness to work on nights and weekends.
- Strong organizational, time-management and communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter and possess the ability to work well independently as well as part of a team.