Changes in the spiritual practices among the faithful, a decrease in available clergy and men and women in consecrated life, changes in the general population within our Diocese, as well as concerns regarding temporal matters have affected the means by
which the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been proclaimed within the Diocese of Brooklyn. In an effort to respond in the best possible way to the gifts of the Holy Spirit generously given to us in our current situation, I have overseen a comprehensive pastoral plan, which included the whole of the Diocese of Brooklyn.
In an effort to evangelize more effectively the community in Queens, as well to administrate the temporal goods of the faithful more efficiently, Most Reverend Octavio Cisneros, Pastor of Holy Child Jesus, located at 111-11 86th Avenue, Richmond Hill,
New York 11418, and Reverend John Tino, Temporary Administrator of Saint Benedict Joseph Labre, located at 9440 118th Street, South Richmond Hill, New York 11419, petitioned that they be canonically merged.
In keeping with the requirements of the Universal Law of the Church, the Presbyteral Council was consulted on February 4, 2020 (Canon 515 § 2), and after having heard the reasons for the proposed merger its members expressed their support for this action. In addition, after having consulted the territorial Episcopal Vicars, clergy, pastoral ministers and other members of the faithful of the parishes involved, I, the undersigned Bishop of Brooklyn, hereby declare and decree that the Parishes of Holy Child Jesus and Saint Benedict Joseph Labre, both within the Diocese of Brooklyn, shall be merged to form one Parish.
• This one Parish shall be named the Parish of Holy Child Jesus – Saint Benedict Joseph Labre, with the main Parish office to be located 111-11 86th Avenue, Richmond Hill, New York 11418.
• Most Reverend Octavio Cisneros shall be the Pastor of the Parish.
• The territorial boundaries of the new parish shall encompass all of the territory which, up until now, has constituted the territories of Holy Child Jesus and Saint Benedict Joseph Labre.
• All assets and obligations currently belonging to aforementioned parishes are by this canonical merger, transferred to the Parish of Holy Child Jesus – Saint Benedict Joseph Labre.
• The parochial registers and the seals of the aforementioned parishes shall be kept at 111-11 86th Avenue, Richmond Hill, New York 11418.
• The Parish shall have two churches for worship: The Church of Holy Child Jesus and the Church of Saint Benedict Joseph Labre.
This merger shall take effect on September 1, 2020, at which time the public juridic persons of Holy Child Jesus – Saint Benedict Joseph Labre shall be merged. Recourse action may be sought according to the norms of Canons 1732 to 1739 of the 1983 Code
of Canon Law.
Most Reverend Nicholas DiMarzio, Ph.D., D.D.
Bishop of Brooklyn
Given in Brooklyn,
This 13th day of July 2020