By the Grace of God and of the Aposcolic See
BISHOP OF BROOKLYN
Changes in the spiritual practices among the faithful, a decrease in available clergy and men and women in consecrated life, changes in the general population within our Diocese, as well as concerns regarding temporal matters have affected the means by which the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been proclaimed within the Diocese of Brooklyn. In an effort to respond in the best possible way to the gifts of the Holy Spirit generously given to us in our current situation, I have overseen a comprehensive pastoral plan, which included the whole of the Diocese of Brooklyn.
In an effort to evangelize more effectively the community in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, as well to administrate the temporal goods of the faithful more efficiently, Reverend Monsignor Jamie Gigantiello, Pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, located at 275 N. 8th Street, and Administrator of Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, located at 259 N. 5th Street, petitioned that they be canonically merged.
In keeping with the requirements of the Universal Law of the Church, the Presbyteral Council was consulted on February, 6, 2018 (Canon 515 § 2), and after having heard the reasons for the proposed merger its members expressed their support for this action. In addition, after having consulted the territorial Episcopal Vicars, clergy, pastoral ministers and other members of the faithful of the parishes involved, I, the undersigned Bishop of Brooklyn, hereby declare and decree that the Parish of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and the Parish of Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, both within the Diocese of Brooklyn, shall be merged to form one Parish.
• This one Parish shall be named the Parish of Our Lady of Mount CarmelAnnunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, with the main Parish office to be located at 275 N. 8th Street, Brooklyn, New York 11211.
• Reverend Monsignor Jamie Gigantiello shall be the Pastor of the Parish.
• The territorial boundaries of the new parish shall encompass all of the territory which, up until now, has constituted the territories of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
• All assets and obligations currently belonging to aforementioned parishes are by this canonical merger, transferred to the Parish Our Lady of Mount CarmelAnnunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
• The parochial registers and the seals of the aforementioned parishes shall be kept at 275 N. 8th Street.
• The Parish shall have two churches for worship: The Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and the Church of Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
This merger shall take effect on June 1, 2018, at which time the public juridic persons of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary shall be merged. Recourse action may be sought according to the norms of Canons 1732 to 1739 of the 1983 Code of Canon Law.