Assist the Vicar of Communication in the development and implementation of communication strategies, including internal and external communications, multi-media platforms and overall public relations ensuring alignment with the vision, mission and goals of the Diocese of Brooklyn.
- Develop and promote communications campaigns and key messaging for Diocesan events and initiatives, incorporating and leveraging the use of multi-media channels within DeSales Media Group and beyond.
- Serve as official spokesperson for the ordinary of the Diocese of Brooklyn and Queens, Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio and its 186 churches and 86 schools and academies throughout Brooklyn and Queens. This includes drafting statements and responding to media inquiries from local and national outlets regarding general business. Target appropriate trade publications for feature articles and press releases.
- Establish and foster relationships with national and local media outlets to frame cohesive brand messages for the Diocese.
- Manage the reputation and risk of the Diocese in the media through appropriate and consistent media relations, policies, protocols and communications guidelines.
- Draft, edit and disseminate press releases, fact sheets, talking points and Q&As.
- Handle press interviews for breaking news and topical feature stories on a number of issues important to the Diocese
- Set up media interviews and public appearances for Diocesan personnel ensuring, whenever possible, that the conditions of the interviews or appearances are pleasant and convenient and the outcome of individual interviews or appearances is favorable for the Diocese.
- Partner with other Diocesan agencies including the Office of the Superintendent for Education, Catholic Foundation, Catholic Migration Services and Catholic Charities to ensure aligned and consistent messaging and strategically aligned communication approach that enhances the Diocese’s reputation across all areas and best reaches targeted audience
- Plan and lead special event teams for key events for DeSales Media Group including World Communications Day
- Initiate and execute multiple advertising and public relations campaigns including ad placement and tracking earned media gains and digital presence
- The incumbent should be a practicing Roman Catholic with an understanding of the teachings and tenets of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an emphasis on professional image and ability to connect with a wide array of people and agencies is crucial. A personable, flexible professional who is a team player is essential.
- Experience identifying communication opportunities and a proven ability to lead, motivate and effectively work with others both internally and externally.
- Expertise in writing and distributing press releases, official statements and managing social media.
- Existing productive relationships with national television, print, radio and online outlets and beat reporters that may include ABC News, Associated Press, CBS News, Crain’s, CNN, CNS, Huffington Post, NBC News, New York Daily News, New York Observer, The New York Times, TIME, The Wall Street Journal, among others.
- Event planning and execution experience is preferred.
- Strong ICloud, MS Suite including Word, Access and PowerPoint skills are necessary. Knowledge of HTML is preferred to competently perform the above mentioned duties.
- Ability to multi-task and meet strict deadlines.
- Bachelors Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related studies; advance degree preferred.
- 7-10+ years experience in a communications leadership role with a proven track record executing successful communications and public relations plans.