Youth Ministry (Grades 6-12)
The diocesan Youth Ministry team works to empower young people — junior high school grades 6-8, and senior high school grades 9-12 — to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today. We work together with adult parish youth ministry leadership, across parishes and schools, to develop comprehensive youth ministry programs.
We also collaborate with diocesan agencies and organizations, regional and national Catholic Youth Ministry leadership on activities and issues of mutual concern and benefit, consistent with the goals of the Office of Faith Formation.
Each year we host the Diocesan Youth Day — a day of catechesis, pray, worship and fellowship with youth from Brooklyn and Queens.
The Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) serves the youth of the Diocese of Brooklyn through sports and other programs. For more information, visit www.cyodob.org.
Young Adults (Ages 18-39)
We also offer programs and social activities throughout the year for Young Adults (aged 18-39) including:
- Brooklyn Catholic Youth Day: An annual day of catechesis, prayer, worship, fun and fellowship for youth ages 13-18 from Brooklyn and Queens.
- Walking Pilgrimage: On October 15, 2016, as part of the Year of Mercy, the Diocese of Brooklyn invites all young adults, ages 18 and up, to a Walking Pilgrimage of Brooklyn churches.
- Theology on Tap: Discover how faith can give sense to your everyday lives, in a comfortable and relaxed setting. Visit our Facebook page to learn more about these events.
- Grilling With God: This series features weekly cookouts with guest speakers and a discussion of issues that are important to young adult Catholics.
- Annual Young Adult Masses and Day of Reflection: Information about Fall 2014 events to come.
- Events around NYC: Click here for more information about young adult groups and events around the city.
Catholic Youth Ministry Initiative
The Center for Ministry Development supports the CYMI by providing training, resources and consultation to assist the diocesan staff in supporting vibrant youth ministry. This project consists of nine gathered workshops provided on Saturdays over a three-year period. These workshops are provided for the leaders of youth ministry and their teams. The workshop day also includes an element of team planning. Planning work will also be assigned to teams to complete in between workshops.
October 29, 2017
Overview of Youth Ministry
Pastoral Care of Adolescents and Their Families
January 7, 2017
Planning for Renewed Efforts in Youth Ministry Catechesis with Youth
Formation in Catholic Identity
May 20, 2017
Team Building and Volunteer Management
Praying with Youths and Building Community with Youths
Concluding Seminar/Planning for Future Growth in Youth Ministry
Spanish Young Adult Organizations
Learn more about the Jornada groups for young adults in Brooklyn and Queens.
Coordinator, Adolescent and Young Adult Faith Formation
Office of Faith Formation, School of Evangelization
718.965.7300, ext. 5556