Admissions Process (Presione aqui para Español)
Are you called to be a Deacon?
If you are in the process of discerning God’s call to serve the Church in the ministries of Charity, Word, and the Eucharist as an ordained deacon in the Diocese of Brooklyn, you are invited to contact the Diaconate Formation Office for more information about the Inquiry Stage. Our telephone number is 718-281-9577
The Inquiry Stage is designed to help you and your wife (if married) to discern whether this call is to the Diaconate or perhaps to another important and holy role within the Church. As is the case with any vocation, the Church must also verify this call through a process of discernment. Because God speaks in quiet and subtle ways we all enter into this process with open and prayerful hearts trusting that the Holy Spirit will lead us.
Any man interest in applying to the Diaconate Formation Program in the Diocese of Brooklyn must attend one of the following Information Sessions and the Inquiry Sessions. The Information Sessions and the Inquiry Sessions will provide those interested in the admissions and formation process with information and discussion about the Diaconate and the integration of ministry into family life. All who are interested in applying to the Diaconate Program should attend both gatherings.
NOTE: NEW INFORMATION SESSIONS DATES WILL BE SCHEDULE SOON
These sessions will be held in English and Spanish. Please call to register to one of the Nights of Information and the Saturday Inquiry Session: Tel. # (718) 281-9577
The Application Process
The Diaconate Formation Office welcomes applications from men of all communities and backgrounds. In order for the Good News to be incarnate, it is necessary for the Church to have ordained ministers in all of the various communities. The presence and witness of deacons from all communities will assist in identifying community needs and advance the response of Christian service.
The man discerning a vocation to be a deacon for the Diocese of Brooklyn should:
• Attend one Information Sessions and the Inquiry Sessions.
• Complete and submit the Pre-Application Form. The Pre-Aplication form will be distributed during the Inquiry Session.
• Attend a preliminary meeting with the Director of the Diaconate Formation Office, Meetings are schedule for the applicant and his wife if married.
• Complete and submit the Formal Application and required documentation. This application is more extensive and detailed.
• Attend an interview with the Admissions Committee. Interviews are conducted for the applicant and his wife if married.
• The entire process of admissions should last until May 2012; the applicants will be informed in June 2012 on whether or not they have been accepted into formation.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Applicants must be aware that the participation in the admissions process does not guarantee that someone is automatically accepted into the first stage of formation which is Aspirancy.